JULY 10, 2019: The new extension at Waterworld will soon be complete. Four huge new rides will be the centrepiece for the 75,000 sq ft expansion of the site, and the colourful new creations are now becoming a towering new presence on the Stoke on Trent skyline.
The new rides include a Looping Rocket, an Aquatube, a Space Shuttle and Space boat combination, and a Black Hole.
Visitors will be able to reach speeds of up to 39kph on the adrenaline-pumping rides when they open in the summer.
The new rides are part of the biggest single investment in the history of Waterworld, and coincide with the site’s 30th anniversary year.
And here’s some fascinating facts about the development:
- The largest two rides will be more than 16.5m (54ft) high – making them the tallest and fastest of their kind in the UK
- The new rides will be capable of reaching top speeds of 39 kph (Looping Rocket will be the fastest)
- The steepest drops on the new rides will have a 1 in 5 gradient (20%)
- More than 500 different components have been shipped in to create the new rides
- Around 300 tonnes of steelwork have been used to create the new extension
- More than 50 tonnes of steelwork have been required to build the structure to house the four huge new rides
- The giant stair tower leading to the new rides is made from 21 tonnes of steel.
- Around 3,300 tonnes of concrete has been poured into the new construction – plus a further 45 tonnes of brickwork mortar
- More than 30,000 man hours will have been spent on the project by the time it is completed
- The project has provided work for approximately 30 different trades
- There will be 4,600 square metres of cladding around the new building
- The extension will be using 430 square metres of glazing
- The 75,000 sq ft extension of the Waterworld site will be three storeys high
- It is the largest single investment in the history of Waterworld
- The expansion coincides with the site’s 30th anniversary year
- The Waterworld resort currently attracts around 350,000 visitors a year – this is expected to top 500,000 when the expansion is fully complete
- A new water-themed indoor Adventure Mini Golf is also being built – with plans under discussion for outdoor golf too
- A state-of-the-art M Club spa and fitness facility is being created, with swimming pools
- More than 1,000 digital lockers will be fitted in a major changing room upgrade
- A new-look front of house play zone and reception area will be created
- The expanded site will also include a mezzanine children’s soft play zone
- Eight new 2500kw energy-efficient heating boilers have been fitted
- Waterworld Leisure Group will increase its workforce by more than 10% as part of the expansion
NEW RIDES – TOP SPEEDS
Looping Rocket – 25mph / 39kph
Aquatube – 17mph / 27kph
Space Shuttle/Boat – 19mph / 31kph
Black Hole – 11mph / 17kph
GRADIENTS ON NEW RIDES
Looping Rocket – 20.25%
Aquatube – 17.8%
Space Shuttle/Boat – 19.1%
Black Hole – 10.8%